ABA Therapy

Hi there,

I'm new on the block here!
Can some one explain what ABA Therapy is?, how it's done? And how will my 6yr old son benefit from it, he has Aspergers?

Kind regards,
Antoinette.
Parents
  • Antoinette, you can have control (or, rather, help your son have control) over the behavior difficulties. I'm not saying that you are over-reacting, though you may not be understanding your son's behaviors completely. I'm saying that your son has a valid reason for his behaviors but he just does not know any better way to achieve the reason. But he can be taught a better way.

Again, the place to start is with a FBA, which will help determine if behaviors are sensory management attempts, communication attempts, or something else.

"the line between sensory and behavior has become blurred and I don't understand" - I'm not entirely sure what this means; I would need a better explanation. I suggest you have the OT explain it to you, since she is the one who said it. Maybe she is stating that many of your son's behaviors are due to sensory reasons.

FYI on Rethink Autism, just to clarify, you have to pay for that.

I'm happy to consider doing distance consultation with anyone but I have to charge a fee for it.
  • Antoinette, you can have control (or, rather, help your son have control) over the behavior difficulties. I'm not saying that you are over-reacting, though you may not be understanding your son's behaviors completely. I'm saying that your son has a valid reason for his behaviors but he just does not know any better way to achieve the reason. But he can be taught a better way.

Again, the place to start is with a FBA, which will help determine if behaviors are sensory management attempts, communication attempts, or something else.

"the line between sensory and behavior has become blurred and I don't understand" - I'm not entirely sure what this means; I would need a better explanation. I suggest you have the OT explain it to you, since she is the one who said it. Maybe she is stating that many of your son's behaviors are due to sensory reasons.

FYI on Rethink Autism, just to clarify, you have to pay for that.

I'm happy to consider doing distance consultation with anyone but I have to charge a fee for it.
Children
No Data