ABA Therapy

Hi there,

I'm new on the block here!
Can some one explain what ABA Therapy is?, how it's done? And how will my 6yr old son benefit from it, he has Aspergers?

Kind regards,
Antoinette.
  • ABA uses behavior modification to break down developmental milestones into small skills a child can master. It is statistically one of the best treatments for autism. It can be expensive. My twins are in ABA and are doing very well. It has been very good for them. I as a Mom highly recommend it.
  • Ok thanks. I'm not too sure if ABA therapy is done in SA, I will have to try source it. Does it help children cope with meltdowns? I really don't know anything about ABA therapy or what it's focus. Does it help with behavioral difficulties associated with ASD?
  • Christine's answer is correct. I will add some of my own response too.

ABA, in regard to autistic children, is the use of principles of behavioral psychology (or behaviorism) to teach things and to modify problematic behaviors. What it looks like is a sort of play-based educational program. It involves a lot of learning-by-doing. The ABA program's goal is to teach your child the developmental skills that he is behind in and to change problematic behaviors into more appropriate behaviors.

There are probably people doing ABA in South Africa. ABA absolutely works with meltdowns and many other behavioral challenges.
  • Christine, how long do you think it will take my fan club to now comment in this thread? I think some of them are actually obsessed with me.
  • Hee hee! Chuckle chuckle Dave! Stay tuned for a mastered skills graphic on Autumn that proves our case quite nicely. I hope we can effect good change for kids! Is there any way to reach this Mom she lives in South Africa. Does Kennedy Kreiger have out reaches in other countries? Or is there another way to help her?

[Updated on 2/27/2013 7:22 AM]
  • Hi Christine,
    I'm the Mom from SA! I don't think Ethan's has behavioral difficulties at the moment, but I have read that children with Aspergers battle in that area. He does however have meltdowns, especially when he can't speak, or explain himself, and then he gets frustrated. I am trying to help him with preventing meltdowns, but this is not helping at the moment. I really don't want to have to use medication. Thanks
  • Get in touch with Kennedy Krieger institute in Baltimore MD USA. For meltdowns I recommend the tell show do method. It can diffuse a tantrum without meds. Dave and myself can talk you through it.
  • Hi Christine,
    I'm the Mom from SA! I don't think Ethan's has behavioral difficulties at the moment, but I have read that children with Aspergers battle in that area. He does however have meltdowns, especially when he can't speak, or explain himself, and then he gets frustrated. I am trying to help him with preventing meltdowns, but this is not helping at the moment. I really don't want to have to use medication. Thanks
  • How do I come in contact with Kennedy Krieger? Is there. An email address?
    What is the Tell Show Do Method? You can explain away your meltdown diffuser! Ethan does go to OT and Speech therepy on a weekly basis. I found out yesterday that there is NO Asperger or *utism support or any schools in the area I stay. Thanks for all your help.
  • How do I come in contact with Kennedy Krieger? Is there. An email address?
    What is the Tell Show Do Method? You can explain away your meltdown diffuser! Ethan does go to OT and Speech therepy on a weekly basis. I found out yesterday that there is NO Asperger or *utism support or any schools in the area I stay. Thanks for all your help.
  • This is very helpful for your behavioral issues from Autism Speaks, these tool kits can be printed out and used at home :-)

www.autismspeaks.org/.../challenging-behaviors-tool-kit
  • Ok tell, show,do
    So your kid is having a meltdown and you need to diffuse it. He needs contact with praise for a job well done then you can end on a positive note and go on with life.

First get one of his favorite treats whether it be food or something like a toy.

Pick a spot to work in and don't leave until you have finished the session.

Pick an activity he can do I'm going to use clapping his hands for and example.

1) Tell: say "clap hands" but don't do anything with your hands.
    a. if he does it shower him with praise give him his toy or treat and make him do it 3 times giving praise each time. Then end the session.
    b. if he doesn't clap his hands go to show
    2) Show say "clap hands" while clapping your own hands.
    a. if he does it shower him with praise give him his toy or treat and make him do it 3 times giving praise each time. Then end the session.
    b. if he doesn't go to do.
    3) Do: say "clap hands" while taking his hands and clapping for him.
    a. shower him with praise and do this 3 times and end the session

Now you have gotten to:
    A. listen to you
    B. successfully do something and get praise for it
    C. decrease his frustration of too much information and not enough feedback

This can take a considerable amount of time but it does work. NEVER EVER EVER back down and give him what he wants while in a rage or you will lose the fight. Don't even nvgage in this process unless you have the time and patience to see it through!!

With these kids remember "don't get in it if you can't win it"

[Updated on 2/27/2013 1:41 PM]
  • Hey Dave, I need you to read my post and see if you have anything to add to help this Mother please.
  • Thanks for all your powerful information! Ethan only eats bland or salty foods, can you tell me what is crunchy food for deep pressure for him to eat. He normally goes to Speech and OT in the mornings, as he is more awake than in the afternoons. He is going to Speech in the afternoon next week, so I was told he must eat crunchy food for deep pressure to keep him awake. Do you have any ideas? Be blessed! Thanks.