How many therapies are you in?

Right know I feel like I'm in therapy overload. I have 2 kids on the spectrum.
My daughter has PT only for know but we are about to add tutoring sessions and girls social group. My son has PT, DIR floortime, Speech, and Social Playgroup. Every day of my week is booked solid with the exception of Sat, sun and monday and I use those days for my appointments.
Parents
  • I have been in the same shoes before. It's very stressful. I am a person who needs a lot of down time too so it was really hard not to feel impatient and irritable. I was constantly evaluating the value of each scheduled therapy (and therapist), the method etc. So if it were not productive or effective I could avoid wasting time with it and move on to somethign or someone that did help. I took as many breaks as I could. I got a babysitter once a week for 5 hours during the day just so I could have some quiet time or alone time or get my own appointments. That was a life saver.

Right now, since my kids are in school full time, I wish I could get back to those more productive therapy years. Alex, the kindergartener has a great program at school where they do ABA half day with him (though not as intensive as at home) so we let him take a break from it at home the first half of the year. Home ABA will begin again soon. Plus, although he is only in K we noticed he tends to memorize the look of a word and reads by memorization only, rather than sounding out, so we got him into tutoring which he does twice a week as well. I'm so glad we did. He is finally starting to attempt to read novel words by sounding them out.

If you can find a college student who can come regularly that may give you some consistent down time. You are doing great things for your kids fullerfam04. Try to always keep in mind that you can't get back these early years of development. It helps you endure and feel good about all the great things you are doing right now!

Hope this helps,
    Tivah
  • I have been in the same shoes before. It's very stressful. I am a person who needs a lot of down time too so it was really hard not to feel impatient and irritable. I was constantly evaluating the value of each scheduled therapy (and therapist), the method etc. So if it were not productive or effective I could avoid wasting time with it and move on to somethign or someone that did help. I took as many breaks as I could. I got a babysitter once a week for 5 hours during the day just so I could have some quiet time or alone time or get my own appointments. That was a life saver.

Right now, since my kids are in school full time, I wish I could get back to those more productive therapy years. Alex, the kindergartener has a great program at school where they do ABA half day with him (though not as intensive as at home) so we let him take a break from it at home the first half of the year. Home ABA will begin again soon. Plus, although he is only in K we noticed he tends to memorize the look of a word and reads by memorization only, rather than sounding out, so we got him into tutoring which he does twice a week as well. I'm so glad we did. He is finally starting to attempt to read novel words by sounding them out.

If you can find a college student who can come regularly that may give you some consistent down time. You are doing great things for your kids fullerfam04. Try to always keep in mind that you can't get back these early years of development. It helps you endure and feel good about all the great things you are doing right now!

Hope this helps,
    Tivah
Children
No Data