Hi All, Newbie here! Needs Advice.

My son is 3 years old and was diagnosed with Autism back in April. He is currently receiving 20 hours of ABA along with OT & Speech therapy. My son clearly has sensory issues and I was wondering if any of you experienced your child grinding their teeth and chewing on their clothing. My son has been doing this for months and I talked to this OT about it and all she suggested was to give her sugarless gum (which he won't even put near his mouth) and then she claimed she would work on some oral exercises with him, I haven't seen improvement. The grinding and the chewing on the clothing seem to be getting worse. I read about a possible chew toy but I am not sure how effective they are. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[Updated on 9/23/2013 4:29 PM]
Parents
  • You have to understand this is a support network! And there's no support when members are bickering amongst themselves, it does scare the newbies away, but it also makes them stronger. Everybody is welcome to their own opinions, and new people will eventually learn to grab powerful information with both hands and ignore the rest. Don't be offended by what others think. When I joined this site, I was blasted off this earth, as my son has failure to thrive and he couldn't eat what was recommended. He still has failure to thrive!! So do the best you can for your child and ask loads of questions, there are very helpful people on this site that really want to and can help you!
  • You have to understand this is a support network! And there's no support when members are bickering amongst themselves, it does scare the newbies away, but it also makes them stronger. Everybody is welcome to their own opinions, and new people will eventually learn to grab powerful information with both hands and ignore the rest. Don't be offended by what others think. When I joined this site, I was blasted off this earth, as my son has failure to thrive and he couldn't eat what was recommended. He still has failure to thrive!! So do the best you can for your child and ask loads of questions, there are very helpful people on this site that really want to and can help you!
Children
No Data