what meds have you tried for yourself or your children?

having an adhd son we have tried several different types of meds.
at first it was small doses of Adderall, stimulants worked to a point.
then we tried resperidone for about a minute.
the psychotic drugs worked great, made the kid psychotic in just a few days!
today he is on a low dose of intuniv. it is a blood pressure med that has a side effect that is marketed for adhd.
he gets his pill at nite. the immediate effect is a bit of drowsiness. this works well as it helps him get a good nites sleep.
I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with intuniv.
what works for you or your child?
Parents
  • I have an 8 year old autistic daughter and she's becoming way more aggressive I am nervous to put her on any kinda of drugs do you think I should check into it. She's shoving me and other things and I am about at my wits end I cry all the time I feel weak so yea. Any thoughts?
  • I know it's been a long time since you wrote this, but I wanted to make sure someone responded. If a child is being aggressive there are often few choices but to start meds - we had to. That usually means antipsychotics like risperidone, seroquel, or zyprexa (to name a few). What didn't work for us was antidepressants like zoloft or abilify; or bloodpressure meds like clonidine. (But something different works for each child). Just a word of warning: once "they" get your kid on drugs it feels (from my point of view anyway) like the push to teach coping skills and appropriate emotional expression disappears. This is a long process and if the child is more severely affected like mine then ABA may be needed. Keep pushing for her to be taught skills rather than just waiting to see if she 'develops' them. Best wishes...from a mom who's been there.
  • I know it's been a long time since you wrote this, but I wanted to make sure someone responded. If a child is being aggressive there are often few choices but to start meds - we had to. That usually means antipsychotics like risperidone, seroquel, or zyprexa (to name a few). What didn't work for us was antidepressants like zoloft or abilify; or bloodpressure meds like clonidine. (But something different works for each child). Just a word of warning: once "they" get your kid on drugs it feels (from my point of view anyway) like the push to teach coping skills and appropriate emotional expression disappears. This is a long process and if the child is more severely affected like mine then ABA may be needed. Keep pushing for her to be taught skills rather than just waiting to see if she 'develops' them. Best wishes...from a mom who's been there.
Children
No Data