Expanding natural skills

I’m 32, having been diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum since age 3. I was raised a little different because my Mom was sick several times throughout the 1990s. She mainstreamed me as far as she could go, and raised me to stand on my own as much as possible because when I was 5, she wasn’t expecting herself to be around too long. Well, that thankfully turned out not to be the case. My Mom is 54 and I’m 32. Very close to her by the way. So in the theme of “Make it happen”, I taught myself many things. I had an interest in anything mechanical for as long as I can remember. I grew up in San Antonio by hanging out with the Mechanics we had for the Taxi Company my Mom and then future Stepdad co-owned. That did nothing except feed the monster. Put tools in my hands and things will be done. My first car from 2004 to 2009 was a 1992 Ford Crown Victoria LX with an Interceptor Package under the hood. Some other now former members of this place can attest to that because I was previously a member in 2009 into 2010, although quite misguided on my end. Now, I’ve owned a 2010 Hyundai since February 25, 2012. Bought it at 19,700 miles and the Odometer as of right now reads 94,105. I am the second owner having bought it in Las Vegas, then driving it by myself clear across on I-40. I worked on the Crown Victoria and owned one, which I got used to. This little car, it’s so simple it’s borderling boring. I didn’t really read many manuals to learn what I know. Do you all know anyone else on the Spectrum that has some form of natural skill they use for fun that they could perhaps use professionally with some class time? I’ve been in the Security Profession since 2004 and am looking to change careers into Mechanical Engineering. I will have to go to School to make that happen.
  • Hi James,

I'm glad to hear that your Mom is doing well. I'm also glad you found something that you enjoy. I want you to know that just because you have autism. It should not stop you from going to school. Everyone with autism have something that they excel in. I told my daughter that autism might be the reason why it takes her longer to do something but it is not an excuse.

I wish you all the luck in the world.
    Tara,
  • In reply to Tdbugs:

I’ve been working Security for 14 years and I’m tired of seeing the worst in people and losing good people. In the past year alone, I’ve lost 3 people, all to homicide. One of them was one of the 58 who were lost in Las Vegas. He was one of the many in Law Enforcement that I became good friends with. The other two were coworkers. One of them, she went missing on my shift, and was later found deceased just over the state line 15 minutes away in South Carolina. Her boyfriend pled guilty to the crime. I had a hand in the investigation because she was Las seen alive at work. The other was murdered by his own younger brother, because he was trying to get his younger brother to go away from crime and drugs. Between this and losing another Law Enforcement friend in 2015 on a Domestic Violence call, and almost nearly losing my life on two occasions in 2010 and 2011, I’m worn out with it and need another direction. Not to say I’ve got weird, funny, and unusual stories also, but the comical part seems to just cover up the fact that I’m not dealing with the best in people, but the worst instead. It’s time I consider a change. Autism in my particular situation is a non-issue, because I’ve worked Nonprofit Volunteer(2004-06), Loss Prevention(2006-09), VIP Protection(off and on 2009-2011), Field Investigations(2009-2011), and Asset Protection/Supervisor(2015-present. The 4 year gap was me only using my professional skills for those in need, which usually involved advisory and tracking. That gap is because I was nearly killed in 2011 when I was outnumbered and cornered. I’ve been evaluated but not diagnosed with PTSD, thankfully. In those 4 years, I worked my way back and up with one of the biggest companies in the world. The reason why I’m still doing what I do is because there’s a need for it, and I’m still very capable. Until I complete school, I’ll be in this profession.