Behavioural issues in School

Hello I have a son who is finishing his Pre-K year of school. He was diagnosed with Autism about 4 months ago so we are new to the Autisum family. I know a lot about autism but I don't know how to handle my sons new behavioral issuses in school. With in the last 2 weeks he has become more disruptive and physical at school. It started with small things like hugging classmates, poking them and then went to hutting them and calling them names. He is also not listening to his teachers and running away from them in the hallways. If his teachers take him my the hand to redirect him he will throw himself on the floor and start screaming and crying. The Asst. Principle called me today with my son in her office and told me that he had another meltdown and was calling his classmates names. She then proceeded to tell me as soon as something else distracted him he was able to pick himself up and focuss his attention else where. She also told me that these issues were not his Autism and that if he did not stop he will not be asked back for the next school year. I need any help and input on how to solve this problem. P.S. his teachers started the process for an IEP back in December.

• Hi it's great you're looking for help for your son and yourself. If I can help you I certainly will share what I know. I have worked both privately and in schools as a paraprofessional for quite some time now. Does your son have a sensory diet ? If not, that maybe some of the avoidance and challenges he's having facing at school. He's acting out to being overwhelmed and pressures are displayed in what you've explained above...obviously if you can make some connections with an OT that would be the best start. Feel free to write me as I will definitely help ya if you'd like. There was once a great support of members here years back on ASN and im grateful to have been part of that. Take care and be positively driven as much as you're able because you have to be the calm in your sons storm...Kris ( :
  • Hi it's great you're looking for help for your son and yourself. If I can help you I certainly will share what I know. I have worked both privately and in schools as a paraprofessional for quite some time now. Does your son have a sensory diet ? If not, that maybe some of the avoidance and challenges he's having facing at school. He's acting out to being overwhelmed and pressures are displayed in what you've explained above...obviously if you can make some connections with an OT that would be the best start. Feel free to write me as I will definitely help ya if you'd like. There was once a great support of members here years back on ASN and im grateful to have been part of that. Take care and be positively driven as much as you're able because you have to be the calm in your sons storm...Kris ( :
  • Hi it's great you're looking for help for your son and yourself. If I can help you I certainly will share what I know. I have worked both privately and in schools as a paraprofessional for quite some time now. Does your son have a sensory diet ? If not, that maybe some of the avoidance and challenges he's having facing at school. He's acting out to being overwhelmed and pressures are displayed in what you've explained above...obviously if you can make some connections with an OT that would be the best start.  Feel free to write me as I will definitely help ya if you'd like. There was once a great support of members here years back on ASN and im grateful to have been part of that. Take care and be positively driven  as much as you're able because you have to be the calm in your sons storm...Kris ( :