Married Couples with School-Aged Children with ASD who use Respite Care

I am writing my dissertation and I am looking for couples who would be willing to participate in a research study.

PURPOSE OF STUDY: The purpose of the study is to better understand the effects autism has on marital satisfaction levels of parents with school-aged children who are diagnosed with this complex neurodevelopmental disability.  At the same time, the study will explore the potential influence of respite care to determine what factors, if any, associated with the provision, help facilitate perceived marital satisfaction levels of parents who have a child on the autism spectrum.  Understanding the context of marital satisfaction levels and the influence of respite care for couples with school-aged children with ASD enables professional counselors to identify valuable supports to families while providing parents with the tools needed to cope with the unique stressors associated with this complex, pervasive disability.

SUBJECT POPULATION: A criterion-based purposeful sample of 3-5 married couples with school-aged children identified with ASD will be obtained for inclusion in the multiple case study.  The inclusion criteria for participation is as follows: 1) all parents in the sample must have a child with a diagnosis of autism based on criteria outlined in either The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th ed.; DSM-IV; American Psychiatric Association, 1994) or The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (5th ed.; DSM–5; American Psychiatric Association, 2013), 2) all couples are married and currently living together in the family home; 3) have a school-aged child  (3-21 years of age) as outlined in Section B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act; and 4) the family must utilize respite care services. 

If you are interested in participating in this study, please contact me.

• For those who are interested in participating, the accept friend request is not working so I cannot answer you from here. Feel free to e-mail me at balskitl@yahoo.com to get more information about the study. Thanks in advance!