is anyone else in the uk concerned?? (benefits reform)

I have heard lots on the news recently about the government taking away child benefit? I have already lost my income support which was 53.10 a week and my child benefit is 45.55 a week? what is this country coming too penalising people who literally cannot work??? I have 2 disabled children there's far too much I already do in support of getting their needs met whilst they are in school for me to be able to even consider working?? and now I am being penalised for having my partner move in? what's the country coming to????
  • have you applied for dissability allowance for your kids and also carers allowance for yourself ? apparently there is some things available like a cinema card for your kids and for you also to get in free in uk xx
  • I get dla and carers allowance, but they took my income support away and now i get less money than before. I can't take my kids to the cinema both my son and daughter who are disabled have epilepsy and we don't have a car now to get anywhere. For 6 years my daughter was receiving higher rate mobility and for some reason when I reapplied when she turned 9 they took if off of her?
  • i think income support is if you live alone but if your bloke has moved in they see that as he can now support you so thats why it is stopped but you can claim income support and have your man stay over i think 3 nights a week im not sure exactly as i dont get it and never had yet but i guess you could go to citezens advice and see if you entitled to anything else xx
  • Now i'm in another country but when once upon a time ago I went on the single mums benefit. I was told I could have a man stay up too 2 nights a week - so long as it wasn't the same one....and they wonder why women tend to stay on the benefit. The only way to survive is to cheat the system and hope no-one dobs you in. I used to busk. That's how we survived. I've just had one disability allowance removed by someone who knows nothing about autism. Rather than grizzle to the department who took it away asking them to reinstate it i'm just going to re-apply for it as though i'd never had it because the people that give it and the people that take it away are in different buildings and neither can access the other's files. Here, the gov.t bends over backwards trying to get mum's back into work and will pay all or a lot of childcare so you can do that but if you want to look after your own child they're not so generous. Maybe you could start some kind of home cottage industry and get the kids to help you make things you can sell on the internet. Also. if your blokes staying over then he should be contributing. Even if he tookover one bill-power or phone or whatever or brought some groceries.
  • I don't mind so much it's the child benefit - I don't see why they are stopping it. It seems that the government are making cuts in parents lives to make up for their debt problems. Isn't that a bit bad considering our children are our future?x
  • I agree Marion, here the govt is upping spending to mental health officials & cutting back on disability allowances. That doesn't make sense to me, it just sounds like they will be prescribing more drugs as a way to help mental illness, but that is not the way we should be going.
  • I don't know what I would do without our DLA - we would live like hermits if we didn't get that as travel is so costly these days. Also my eldest daughter is still in nappies, they aren't cheap and neither are care mats wipes and extra bedding as my daughter soils them and I can't always put stained sheets back on her bed. As for my son, I don't really buy his clothes he gets hand me downs from my cousin who is a couple of years older than him. He just goes through shoes as he breaks and scuffs them and he is a very picky eater too... that's costly. Then my eldest daughter is also allergic to lactose and eggs, to be fair she has to have completely different food to all of us and the free from products are expensives. Her school which is a special needs school are always asking for money for school days out and that's costly too! Even rory has a residential trip planned for year 6 and that's going to be £290 although I managed to get them to ask for some help and now I only have to pay half, but it all costs you see?
  • Yes I agree it's very expensive to do or get anything these days. Specially if you need suppliments & specialized foods. I don't know how people with a disability manage if they haven't got someone to help them eat good food & find treatment options etc
  • it's not just that, before I had a motability car and now I don't and now we rarely ever go out as a family. Sophie can't walk very far so to be honest it's almost impossible for me to get anywhere with my 3 children, without using expensive public transport! Rory is fully unaware of road danger too!
  • i agree marion, my husband , had two back operations, so he cant work, so instead i work, iwanted to show my kids that you dont get money unless you work for it, since then ive been worse off, at one point just to get my other two to school each week, i had to put 50 pound to one side, just for bus fares and dinner money, as im working no free dinners no bus pass, then through no choice off ours we decided to home school jack, but no help at all, the home school officer came around, said we were doing good suggested some things, said she would drop off some help for us, still nothing, some times i feel like packing up work, but know deep down i would still be worse off, god ive had enough my self xxx
  • i agree marion, my husband , had two back operations, so he cant work, so instead i work, iwanted to show my kids that you dont get money unless you work for it, since then ive been worse off, at one point just to get my other two to school each week, i had to put 50 pound to one side, just for bus fares and dinner money, as im working no free dinners no bus pass, then through no choice off ours we decided to home school jack, but no help at all, the home school officer came around, said we were doing good suggested some things, said she would drop off some help for us, still nothing, some times i feel like packing up work, but know deep down i would still be worse off, god ive had enough my self xxx
  • there seems to be very little incentive from the government they encourage you to work - but if you have children you are financially penalised and if you can't work because your time is taken up by the fact that you are a carer of more than one disabled child - it seems there is no or little help/support/respite/financial sustainance for those of us who have exceptional circumstances. I know that now my partner is working we will not be getting school meals anymore and we also have to start paying for transport for my children to get to school they have to go by taxi as it would cost more for us all to go by bus and rory can't cope with buses or crowds at all - plus i have 2 in one school and one in another as she goes to an sld school and i cant be in 2 places at once. We worked out the cost of transport for one week to school and back works out at just under £200 a week! it's rediculous!
  • in fact I have deliberately not told transport that my partner is working as I really can't afford the costs, what do they want me to do remove the children from school?
  • im lucky at the moment as i dont earn enough for my child bennefit to be taken off me, so i still get that, . i wont ever earn enough xxxx
  • yes, but because my partner is now working when worked out how much we will recieve because my two eldest get dla it works out just about the 40'000 although I have been told they are only taking it off people with one child and I wonder if they can exclude the income from dla? that way we won't lose out?