help I need it

My son has recently been diagnosed with Autism and the school he is in has recommeded us to put him in the Autistic unit. They feel his academic side to things are normal but eventually is emotional stress will overpower him and he will then not beable to function. I am at a crossroads as I feel that he is on the mild spectrum and he is able to communicate and by placing him in a class where the other kinds have severe symptoms, would this not hinder him. I am new to this so I dont want to offend anyone if my termenology is not correct. I am worried that he will be forgotten where he is and not pushed to be able to do his best. i get the feeling its alsmost like its a free pass. I hope someone out there has any answers because the lack of sleep the emotional stress of trying to figure out the answer is very difficult. What I leaning towards is keeping him in the class where he is and see how he goes. Is this unfair on him i really dont know what to do.

HELP!

All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Renee'
  • Only you can choose the path. The decisions that you make should be sound in mind and judgement. You should also be able to live with the decision as in the end you shall bear the consequences of the choice. The consequences may emerge or they may simply be hypothetical.
    My advice is to trust you heart and go with whatever choice you make. I have learnt that if you don't listen to your inner voice more often than not, you'll regret it.
  • I taught my son people skills (I know I've written this 100 times) so he could appear to be the same and hide behind the facade of sameness, it worked for him, I agree with Damo, go with your instinct on this....I'd keep him in class where he is and see how he goes if it were me.
  • Renee, I would think that a special class where the kids get more individual attention according to their specific needs and abilities would be a good thing. I would expect it to be the opposite of being forgotten. Of course, it depends on the particular teachers involved, but isn't the whole purpose of the autistic class all about making sure he gets what works for him?

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the other autistic children hindering him, dragging him down, and him getting a free pass. maybe the experience would actually be quite contrary to those things. Being in the same class with them might be very beneficial to your son and the others. It's not like the other kids' problems are "catching," and there's certainly no reason to think that your son won't be challenged to do the best he can. In fact, if the teacher there is knowledgeable about autism, and specializes in tailoring classroom experiences to the individual needs of autistic children, then your son might be in a position to take advantage of a wonderful opportunity to excel in ways that would not be made available in the typical classroom.

Talk to the teacher of the class they propose for him, and let that person know your concerns. Maybe you'll get more information that will make your decision more comfortable for you, whichever way you decide to go.
  • If he doesn't have an issue in acedemics & is keeping up & understanding, Maybe it would be beneficial to deal more with the emotional/ social issues, rather than switching him to an entirely new program that may very well hinder his progress, if its not suitable. have you looked at the classroom to see how it works & feel it out? or talked to your son about his feelings about the program(if he's able to)? Maybe the schools social worker can help find a program to deal with that or an after school program, or thereapy, or even by yourself, if you can. Last summer, I put Brandon in a respite summer camp with an autism class. He was speaking, although not properly, & they were enouraging communication, but because most were less-verbal in the class, i did actually notice more grunting & pointing & meltdowns than before he started. He seemed to be mimicing the other kids. but this is 4yr olds, though..
  • Teach him social skill, I used "Dale Carnegie" books and my boy learnt it by rote , he had a class with me every night and I'd send him off to school with social skill exercises to complete for the day..... Your boy's clever, so he can learn this, contrary to popular belief these skill can be understood and made use of,.....Even if the emotional body hasn't quite caught on and needs time to catch up. Mostly its about self esteem and knowing how to treat other people in any given circumstance..