Self harming

My 8 year old has always had some aggresion issues. Mostly directed toward other people or objects. Revently though, he has started self harming. When he does something he knows is wrong, hitting, throwing, etc...he hits himself in the face and head. Sometimes just with his hands but sometimes with objects as well. ie. dorrstop, his boots. While he does it he calls himself stupid and says "its all my fault". 

Honestly, I am at a complete loss. I just don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

• My son is currently 10 but it was around the age of 8 he started doing similar things your child is doing. We haven't 100% stopped the behavior but we are in aba therapy to help find alternate outlets. There's constant reminders that we don't harm others and we don't harm ourselves. It may be that he's growing out of it that I don't notice it as often now. Including curious to see if others have had other ways of lessening the behavior.
  • My son is currently 10 but it was around the age of 8 he started doing similar things your child is doing. We haven't 100% stopped the behavior but we are in aba therapy to help find alternate outlets. There's constant reminders that we don't harm others and we don't harm ourselves. It may be that he's growing out of it that I don't notice it as often now. Including curious to see if others have had other ways of lessening the behavior.
  • In reply to Kimberly Rosario:

His diagnoses is fairly recent. We have our first meeting with a behavioural interventionist tomorrow. Here's hoping...
  • My son used to do this,too.Have you ever had him tested for food and chemical allergies?