Church and Asperger's/Autism

As a once ashamed but now proud Aspie, it can be difficult (I'm still learning) to understand the nuances of social cues.  For me, it is like diagnosing a disease based on symptoms.

I was a teacher for 7 years and failed miserably in many aspects (suffered from PTSD during my work experience).  As a chemist for 10 years, I find that world much easier to deal with but still think in a very different way than my colleagues.  It makes it hard for me to voice honest questions and objections about the way we do things.

Being a Christian seems like a logical thing to do, once you get over believing in something when common sense tells you not to (faith).  But it is nice to have a system of truths in the Bible that is self-consistent (though I understand not everyone agrees with this).

Before I get to why I am writing this, I would love to hear from other Christians with ASD.  What are your biggest challenges and successes at church (regardless of age group)?

Anyway, I digress.  I suspect that there is a 14 year old girl at our church that has ASD.  She is a great kid, very shy, has trouble communicating with others and trouble reading.  While she probably has a processing disorder of some sort, I think it goes beyond that.  She is an incredible free-hand artist who can draw characters of any type (Disney, Marvel Comics, made-up and hybrid characters).  She is on an IEP at school, but I fear that her differences are being swept under the rug and her talents are unable to shine through.

When I was young, my parents tried to make me as normal as possible.  Despite extremely high IQ scores, they wouldn't let me join the special classes.  I thought I simply wasn't smart enough until I found out this from other parents.  But I couldn't fit in with the other kids.  I didn't have any real friends except maybe for 1 good friend in high school.

BTW, I'm always looking for chat room buddies.  I don't private chat 1-on-1 as I am married and don't want to put myself in an uncompromising position.  I love model building (LEGO), math/statistical modeling (and developing games with math), board/card game creation, and am finishing my first full-length novel.

Anyway, have a nice evening.  I struggle with discouragement and can be a bit thin-skinned about it, but I have also learned to thrive in spite of (or because of) my Aspie status.

Mark

Parents
  • Sorry it took a while to reply to your message as this site used my dead email account!! It was nice reading your piece about church! I don't go to church anymore, except in exceptional circumstances, is deaths, marriages, births etc.. Priests can be mad or crazy so avoid them like the plague!
  • Sorry it took a while to reply to your message as this site used my dead email account!! It was nice reading your piece about church! I don't go to church anymore, except in exceptional circumstances, is deaths, marriages, births etc.. Priests can be mad or crazy so avoid them like the plague!
Children