Survey : What are the Negative aspects of an High functioning Autistic person

Hello, In my other discussion ,i have requested you guys to list the positive side of an high functioning autistic person and in this discussion i would like to list the negative side of the traits of being high functioning autistic person. Thank you in advance for your time ..Bala
  • Kids now,are getting diagnosed at a young age,and getting services,and hopefully that will make a differece.There has deninately been good things that have happened at different times in my life.I guess,I`m just going through a difficult period.Joblessness,financial problems,and caring for a severley autistic child for the last 15 years has left me without much of a life of my own.
  • Having supportive families,I imagine will also help kids today.Not all of us had that growing up.
  • Justin
    It wasn't a criticism, I just don't understand why people on the spectrum aren't acknowledging their achievements, they are hard enough won. Have you mentioned your courage, have you mentioned your knowledge, have you mentioned the effort and commitment you put in on behalf of your children or even on this site to bring that knowledge to the attention of other people, What about the fact that you show up every day on behalf of your son and never give up on him?, Most people don't even get close to the enormity of that, .

Absolutely you are aware of how hard your life is and you have to be able to write about it I wasn't criticising that , but you put in so much effort to deal with it., I think you should be able to say how amazing you are and how proud you are of yourself and acknowledge that some of that intention and commitment and ability to operate outside the stereo types and set attitudes and belief systems is to do with the being on the spectrum , if any one is entitled to acknowledge themselves and their experience you are,

You shouldn't have to wait for some one else, who hasn't even been close to your experience and couldn't possibly get how hard it is, to tell you your amazing, I think that we should be recognizing and acknowledging our strength,our courage our learning experiences so we we can acknowledge our childrens strength and courage and learning experiences and I think that would make it possible for them to be brave and be proud of themselves and to learn to love their experience and themselves just because they're allowed to not because its easy.

I feel so strongly about it, I didn't go through what I've gone through in my life just to be a malfunction neurotypical person, I don't want that for any one on the spectrum.I want to be able to say how how proud I am that I even got through it and acknowledge where I had to go in my mind to do that... with out being criticised and called arrogant and self obsessed, why wouldn't any one want that, I'm an Autistic person and i'm proud of myself and i think you should be to, thats not a crime its an attitude .
    Jahki
  • I find it so interesting that one member made a comment about another member stating "Have you mentioned your courage, have you mentioned your knowledge, have you mentioned the effort and commitment you put in on behalf of you children or even on this site to bring that knowledge to the attention of other people. What about the fact that you show up every day on behalf of your son and never give up on him?" I don't think that we do think about these things very often. I think we get so caught up in getting through each day that we forget how much we have actually accomplished, and continue to accomplish every day on behalf of our children. Jahki - thank you for the reminder.
  • When your right your right,Jahki.It`s just hard to think of being proud of yourself,when you don`t ever remember hearing it from your parents.I did say,that low self esteem was a negative,at least for me.I need to work on that.I don`t know how,exactly,but i need to work on it.Thankyou for letting me know.
  • Really,I life wasn`t that difficult,until I became the parent of a low functioning autistic child.I mean,I don`t think I was that severely impaired by my autism.I feel more impaired now,than I was then,if that is possibleIs it possible to regress into autism,as an adult?I love my son,I just feel,that he is draining all the life out of me at times.
  • Really,I life wasn`t that difficult,until I became the parent of a low functioning autistic child.I mean,I don`t think I was that severely impaired by my autism.I feel more impaired now,than I was then,if that is possibleIs it possible to regress into autism,as an adult?I love my son,I just feel,that he is draining all the life out of me at times.
  • Sparrow -
    That link was great. Thanks for posting it.
    -Quirky
  • I agree,great article.Reinforses the idea,for me,that I need nutritional supps,and healthy food,or i`m going to loose my abilities.When I neglect to take my vitamins,I easily forget.Alzhemier`s runs in my family,and I think,that autism,and alzheimer`s is related.
  • Thankyou again Sparrow for your very useful posts.My fear,is that my younger daughter,and my grandchildren that have no diagnoses,regress into autism ad adults,and then there is no help,because they were not diagnosed as children.Also,my aunt got alzheimer`s when her youngest child was in high school.Since I had a late in life child,I worry about that for myself to.I try to keep feeding my brain.
  • I wouldn`t say,they are showing no signs,on the contrary,they are.Just not enough to get a diagnoses at this time.My daughter had speech delay,She is very sensitive.My grandson has social anxiety.I think my daughter does to at times.Last year at the school Christmas concert,she was to shy to sing on stage in front of all those people.I was the shyest kid in school.My grandkids,don`t seem to be very affectionate.I have tried to tell my daughter,but she is in denial about it.My grand daughter is only 18 months old,so we will have to see when she gets to school,how she acts with other kids.My grandson will be 6 in april.He has no diagnoses yet,but many higher functioning kids,don`t get diagnosed until later.
  • I had trouble playing with more than one friend at a time.If I was spending time with a friend and another came by.I would get upset,becasue I had difficulty being with more than one person at a time.Still do.I have seen my daughter get upset,if there are to many kids to play with.She doesn`t seem to be able to play with to many kids either.My family is hugh,and when everyone gathers,sometimes my kids and grandkids,can`t handle the hugh crowd.