Survey : What are the Negative aspects of an High functioning Autistic person

Hello, In my other discussion ,i have requested you guys to list the positive side of an high functioning autistic person and in this discussion i would like to list the negative side of the traits of being high functioning autistic person. Thank you in advance for your time ..Bala
Parents
  • Justin, you are so right - my father was a smart man with great dignity, but he had no friends, and created for himself a rigid way of behavior. I always thought it was because he was a real Victorian character (he was born in 1889), but now I wonder. The rigidity extended to him omitting great chunks of writing from novels of Tolstoy and others, claiming that - it was too unbelievable. Does anyone think that maybe life was easier in the 19th century for AS people because there were more rules? And one could always find something to do among country people?
    I was lucky to fall into a job just right for me, but for years it was a struggle. And I did have years of therapy to help me overcome deep depression, and started exploring the idea of AS only this year. Things fit remarkably.
    Interestingly - I could never understand why I often acted so naively. And exaggerated my response to someone telling an exciting tale. I'd laugh too loudly and make faces, and people would accuse me of making fun of them. I thought I was just reacting like everybody else. I'd try and try to be friends because I was told I was too shy and then "has the cat's got your tongue", so I spoke and spoke, louder and louder, and again they turned away.
    Thank heavens, at least I understand now, never did before.
  • Justin, you are so right - my father was a smart man with great dignity, but he had no friends, and created for himself a rigid way of behavior. I always thought it was because he was a real Victorian character (he was born in 1889), but now I wonder. The rigidity extended to him omitting great chunks of writing from novels of Tolstoy and others, claiming that - it was too unbelievable. Does anyone think that maybe life was easier in the 19th century for AS people because there were more rules? And one could always find something to do among country people?
    I was lucky to fall into a job just right for me, but for years it was a struggle. And I did have years of therapy to help me overcome deep depression, and started exploring the idea of AS only this year. Things fit remarkably.
    Interestingly - I could never understand why I often acted so naively. And exaggerated my response to someone telling an exciting tale. I'd laugh too loudly and make faces, and people would accuse me of making fun of them. I thought I was just reacting like everybody else. I'd try and try to be friends because I was told I was too shy and then "has the cat's got your tongue", so I spoke and spoke, louder and louder, and again they turned away.
    Thank heavens, at least I understand now, never did before.
Children
No Data