I think I have Aspergers......

I thought I had ADHD but through participation in an on-line forum for those with ADHD I am beginning to see that I may be processing information differently from others on the site.
  • Hi there would you like to contact me i also if i got quite a few of syptoms of aspergers i'm 24years old .
    take care caroline
  • People with Asperger's have the signs that begin to look like ADHD and it is the quality of those symptoms that begin to turn towards Asperger's. I encountered that in my evaluation.
  • Do you mean the quality of ones ability to process?

Cheers
  • Anna, I have the grand ability to daydream, loses concentration, lose my place while reading, and also blurt out. I have so many signs of ADHD, but the whole reason behind this is because I daydream because I think in pictures. I also at times have the autistic stare. But also I lose concentration because a simple noise (a hidden one) tends to alert my senses to danger. I blurt out because I have the need to get something out or to correct or to add. People with ADHD do not do these things for those reasons. They blurt out because of pentup mental energy, they daydream because they are distracted and they are distracted because their mind has been lead on another track. Look at the source of where these things come from. People with ADHD cannot hyperfocus, but autistics are hyperfocused all the time. And if a person with ADHD can hyperfocus, it is only because there is exclusive interest. A neuropsychologist is the best source for a diagnosis, because they can usually tell you what part of the brain is malfunctioning and the like. Or if a special in autism spectrum disorders would pick up on many things as well.
  • I daydream, I lose concentration, I don't bother reading books these days because it requires to much concentration. I think in pictures, I see people and settings when I recount.
    It can be very scary. Because I haven't allowed others to witness a blank stare I have isolated myself in the past, so nobody may see it. I've slept and slept hoping that it will go away.
    Some noises put the fear of the devil into me, they touch my very soul. I speak because it is my truth. For most of my life though I chosen to remain silent and watch. I watch the world. Be in it, not of it. And I am very very lonely in this.
    I have no money, literally. We have just borrowed money to live. My first concern for my family is that we have food and love.
    This means I am not able to be privately diagnosed at present.
    The public system tried to daiagnose me and couldn't after vigorously trying to apply the label of Bi-Polar or Schizophrenic. The psychologist said to me "yes Anna, I believe that you are VERY clever", with not a nice tone in her voice. I considered Bi-Polar and Schizophrenia but neither seem to make sense for me. I even joined the Bipolar support group, one of the strangest groups of people I've ever met. The whole experience in the Mental Health System left me very tramatised. I had to leave before I did go insane.
    The Mental Health Service in NZ is under major reveiw at the moment. It is failing many people.
  • I think it is important to have a goal. In that way you can channel all your thoughts into that one thing. I was very mentally disorganised when I was young as well. Once you have a goal all the disturbig things in reality just become another challenge to be surmounted rather than something to be afraid of.

Also, I think you'll find that most people either don't notice the autistic stare or otherwise they don't care. If they give you a hard time of it for that reason, they aren't worth knowing anyway because they will never accept you. I'd rather choose my lonliness and solitude over an unappreciative "friend."

if you know yourself, do you need a diagnosis? Personally, I find that having a label isn;t always useful. People get scared of you and may discriminate and abuse you for it. That is what has happened to me.
  • After reading these posts I am now sooo confused..From what I am understanding here (and someone please correct me if im wrong!)
    my personal info
    1st . my daughter was dx'd with add
    2nd. Now we suspect aspergers

She may not have add??? or add is apart OF aspergers ???
    I have been BATTLING the school system alone for 5 yrs concerning my daughter
    Appointments scheduled for further testing this week . Lord Im exhausted and it is just 9 a.m.
    Jeanene
    Pensacola, FL
  • From what I understand, Aspergers, ADHD, Dyslexia and Dyspraxia are all in the same basket.

If you have one of them you are likely to have components of the others.
  • You are correct anna000 about the umbrella of Aspergers and comorbidity of ADHD,GAD,depression etc. These are sympyoms of you're Aspergers and are not seperate disorders. However, Doctors will include them on reports to better inform other professionals and to help with medication and Therapy treatments.

Aspergers is not a psychiatric disorder.

I have been misdiagnosed with Bipolar and ADHD. I think a great deal of medical professionals believe you have to show substantial autistic traits before they would consider Aspergers.
  • Hi Anna000

I have two sons with Aspergers. One has Dyspraxia and the other ADHD. It is, apparently, quite common for Aspies to have another disorder. As Indigomontoya states, they could all be symptoms but it is also fair to state that not all Aspies have them. Each person is different. Having two sons and a husband who are all sufferers, I see three different people all the time.
  • I definitely have it. I have Aspergers or something pretty darn close.

The thought of it still crashes my brain and I seem to be unable to process anything at times.
  • I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 8, it wasnt until I was 16 I found out it was a wrong diagnosis and I actually have aspergers. I think that aspergers is a real thing but also that psycholgists like to have a lable for every personality type, there are hundreds of people like us so I don't think we are different and just take it in my stride. I can't process things sometimes too, its frustrating but there are ways to get around it. You have tons of support here and I think you are as normal as everybody else. U'll be just fine =)
  • I am 56 1st December and have always known that i have something but didn't know what it was.I haven't been diagnosed but know that it is ASP although i have been diagnosed as depressive (Bi-polar)

I only found out recently about ASP and it has been a revelation,answers a lot of questions

Lack of concentration,can't read anymore,spend hours even days in bed as i can't cope with my life,had trouble bringing up my children couldn't discipline them,don't feel any pleasure,don't notice things around me am in my own litle world,amongst lots of other stuff.

Do i sound like an Aspy? I am certain that i do

I was on my own at 15 as come from a dysfuntionl family,life has ben very difficult
  • Anna you wrote - I daydream, I lose concentration, I don't bother reading books these days because it requires to much concentration.
    It can be very scary. Because I haven't allowed others to witness a blank stare I have isolated myself in the past, so nobody may see it. I've slept and slept hoping that it will go away.
    Some noises put the fear of the devil into me, they touch my very soul. I speak because it is my truth. For most of my life though I chosen to remain silent and watch. I watch the world. Be in it, not of it. And I am very very lonely in this.

This is just how i feel Anna
  • Sometimes I would feel as though I was in a bubble just looking out at the world connecting with others that wore labels of drug addict, criminal, alcoholic, beneficiary. I could not apply any of these labels to myself; it didn't make sense to me.

Outside of this I truly preferred not to interact with others.

I used to go to work with people with 'disabilities' on 12 hour shifts for 4 days and sometimes would spend 2 or 3 days in between held up in my little bach on the hill in bed, only getting up or going out to get food.

People sometimes would beep their horns when I was driving and I can say the fear of God was felt in my heart right there!

Incredible lonliness. My diary seemed to be of great comfort in this time.

Realising I have Aspergers has improved my life no end!

[Updated on 11/22/2008 4:31 AM]