My husband has asperger, I don't. Now we want to have babies, how risky do our babies would have asperger? Thank you.

My husband has asperger, and our marriage are fine, he is a high school physics teacher, his bro does not have asperger, but his mother has lots of health issues. I am from China, I am pretty healthy, I want to have babies soon. But was little concerned about how possibly would our kids have aspi? 

I think if you or your partner has asperger, and now you guys have kids, you probably could answer this question. I want to know if one of the parents has asp, do all the kids must have? or it's like half half? One kid has, the other doesn't? Thank you.

Or if one of the parents has asperger, the kids possibly have autism? Thank you.

• I have aspergers and my wife and I have a son who is medically diagnosed as being high-functioning autistic. We have a daughter who might have some autistic traits, but isn't diagnosed. I guess my question to you would be whether or not it would change your decision to have kids. Life with autism can be tough and I was undiagnosed when we decided to have kids.
  • In reply to ahasp:

Thanks for your replay. I know, it is really hard, my husband with asperger but he is traditional ,he said wants his own baby. I was concerned, because he already is tough for me sometimes, but i love him so much, I don't have aspergers so i am wondering would it be less risky to have a baby without aspergers? May i ask does your wife have asperger or not?
  • Even when one parent is Asperger's it might be enough to have a child with Asperger's, too. Usually it is more often for males to get autistic genome.
    I personally left my Aspie boyfriend although there were all the signs him to be my lifepartner for good but there were also many other terrible ones. I still suffer from depression because of this relationship. He wanted to have kids very soon but I had some second thoughts as it seemed too fast (well, for women it is always a years long journey, for men it doesn't necessarily have to be). He also mentioned at some point that a child would connect us more us as we already had problems. In my mind bonding shouldn't be the reason for having a child or even considering that to be one of the reasons. I couldn't imagine my life with him in a long run when the symptoms get worse, I will be the man and a woman in the household and one of our children would have the same or similar traits. It reallt depends on many aspects. You really have to take all of his traits into consideration and give a bit of time, too. If you feel that he is the one and only for you, the one who you deserve and is your so-called better half then go for it. Also then you should be prepared that your children might be autistic.
    All the best!
  • Even when one parent is Asperger's it might be enough to have a child with Asperger's, too. Usually it is more often for males to get autistic genome.
    I personally left my Aspie boyfriend although there were all the signs him to be my lifepartner for good but there were also many other terrible ones. I still suffer from depression because of this relationship. He wanted to have kids very soon but I had some second thoughts as it seemed too fast (well, for women it is always a years long journey, for men it doesn't necessarily have to be). He also mentioned at some point that a child would connect us more us as we already had problems. In my mind bonding shouldn't be the reason for having a child or even considering that to be one of the reasons. I couldn't imagine my life with him in a long run when the symptoms get worse, I will be the man and a woman in the household and one of our children would have the same or similar traits. It reallt depends on many aspects. You really have to take all of his traits into consideration and give a bit of time, too. If you feel that he is the one and only for you, the one who you deserve and is your so-called better half then go for it. Also then you should be prepared that your children might be autistic.
    All the best!
    All the best!
    All the best!
    All the best!
    All the best!