employers and autism

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Are there some online job boards catering to employment opportunities with adults with autism? Some guidance here would be welcome - and not those places sucking fees out of me.
  • Yeah, I want to know the same thing as you do. Do you produce artwork? I don't know where to start when it comes to jobs.
  • I would be interested in finding a job for my autistic son who is 20 yrs. old and stays to himself.
  • We all share the same problems and are using this source of communication to try to reach a sollution. The problem is that we are all over the country. We have to find away to make autism a more public problem then just talking about it. There are many organizations that bombard us for money for support of there particular problem from telethons, TV promos asking us to help children of 3rd world countries and mailers. Whether we support these groups or not they manage to bring it to the forefrunt and to keep us aware of them. We have to organize and use our collective thinking to do the same thing. By us using this form to communicate we know we are not alone. We have to now join toghether our resources and make our problem just as important. Lets think of how we are going to make people more awar and make our problem theres. My phone number is 951 653-7395. I'm doing this as a start for anyone who would like to talk about ideas.
  • I hate to sound rude, but I think you need to chose your words better, kakashi. Autism isn't a problem, nor should it be viewed in the public as a problem. The last thing the autism community needs now is to have everyone thinking we need hand outs.

Sorry, I don't have anything to add to this subject. I can't keep a job either, but luckily, my husband can. One of the best fields to get into is computers. In general, anything to do with computers you don't need great social skills. If you're son, alexwa, is lower functioning, then there are work programs in many states.
  • Kakashi,

Where do you live, I am in Pensacola, FL. I have a 25 year old with Autism. Our "children have been forgotten. We need tto make alot of noise. Same story. Will you be home tonight? I will call you. If we band together, we will make a difference. I am past ready to "do" something. Instead of just takl about it. Give me a time that wopuld be good for you.

My number is 850-439-3377. any time after 7:00 central would be best for me.

Let's DO it!
  • There is more out there now then ever before. My daughter was misdiagnosed for years. how many other kids were ?? teachers became "Doctors" and "Ridilin became the wonder drug . They knew Best@#!!@##$$... Thank God that now thel know more about Autism that it is just not one area. Asthe word suggests Spectrum {a wide array } These kids don,t look at this as a disability " it's just a different way of looking at things". The aspies out thereare so very unique and many are so pure of heart . We are all unique yes but these guys are a little bit more Thanks for reading hope to hear from you ,all of you.

Sincerely butlersusan
  • Here is a post suggested for inclusion by another member on this same topic (jobs): thiswayoflife.org/.../
  • Unfortunately, if we disclose our condition, who would want to give us a job? We need to manage our own condition rather than let other manage it. It's none of their business. I suggest you find yourself some internship somewhere, register yourself with a temporary agency and ask to be hired as temporary worker, even volunteer if your finances allow (I know, it's easier said than done). Perhaps you can give them the taste of what a good worker and gteam plagyer you are, and make yourself eligible for a permanent full-time work. . Some temporary agencies do not charge you a fee; they charge only the employer.
    Best of luck. Happy 2009.
  • Everyone has different circumstances to deal with. There are agencies in some states that help people with diagnoses such as ours to find and to keep their jobs. Michigan has such an agency called MI Rehabilitation Services and they help many people including people with mental health issues, addictions and other types of struggles to find a job and to keep it if they need accommodations.

Call it a problem or not - it is what it is and I'll call it whatever I have to in order to get my needs met. I work hard, I'm honest, and I have valuable traits. I put those traits to good use, and don't quit trying - and so far, it works. I know how to make my good qualities known and that's how I got jobs and how I advanced at them. It's NOT easy. Often it's hard as hell.

I don't hide what I've got - if I hadn't been open about it I would have lost my job. Still, it's a struggle. People want to believe that Asperger's is the new ADD and both are just a case of spoiled brats who need a good kick in the @$$. It's a fight and sometimes I have to know when to let go, and sometimes I have to be bold about who I am and what I struggle with.

So take the advice that fits and don't give up.
  • I am new to this area (employers & autism). It seems most respopnses are from adults who have been diagnosed with AS. I have a friend (female 66yr old) who has many of the symptoms of AS. Could anyone give me some insight into what this condition is all about. I see my side of things as she responds to me in different ways at different times. I am concerned about how she sees things especially when it comes to friendship and relationships with others. She tends to focus on "health issues" and it seems she gets preoccupied when someone has an illness. I also see a "mimic" approach to things when it comes to attitude, material things and interaction to others. I don't mean to upset anyone with my observations but the more I see, the more I am convinced she has AS. I am only a concerned friend who does not judge her but needs to understand her. Sometimes it is like a rollercoaster ride. Thanks for listening :-)
  • To Immelody. Should you just forget about the politiclly correctness. Let people expressing what they think. The one who calls autism as a problem does have a valid point. In the context of employment, any thing that prevents the person to get work enter and to participate reasonable well, can we call a problem.
  • gourdilefrog -I highly respect you in your situation/struggle.Viewing it the way you need to in order to make the most of what you need to get by both for yourself and otherwise.That is realistic and commendable.I think your right on the mark for your situation and what works for you.
  • Hi -- As I look at these posts in different forums I notice that many of us are looking for some basic information on Asperger's, especially. I have found some books in the last month that I want to recommend. They are both explanatory and give helpful directions for understanding for children and for adults with Asperger's. This literature is new, relatively speaking. Here goes: 1. "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" by Tony Attwood. This comes in paperback and can be ordered from Amazon. It was published in 2007. Tony Attwood has also published other books on this subject, but I have only ordered one other, "Asperger's Syndrome A Guide for Parents and Professionals" 2. A title I have not seen is "Asperger Syndrome and Employment" Edited by Genevieve Edmonds and Luke Beardon. It is in a series called "Adults Speak Out About Asperger Syndrome". 3. "Solutions for Adults with Asperger Syndrome" by Juanita P. Lovett, Ph.D. This was a useful first book for me to read as an overview of the syndrome. The Attwood book that I mentioned first is, I think, just great because it begins to put a lot of language around every aspect of Asperger difficulty. It talks about getting a proper diagnosis in order to get services and gives the reader a bullet list of "Key Points and Strategies" at the end of each chapter. It also has other resources and websites published in the back of the book.
    Most of the posts I read here seem (including my own) to be crying out for current, professional information and guidance and a search for common language so that we can communicate and organize for funds and services. For me, these books are an enormous leap forward in looking for ways to best help my adult son who is trying so hard to be independent and falling through every crack.
    I highly recommend this reading for those of you who have Asperger's (they are guaranteed to make you feel better about yourself and offer you some concrete help) and for those of us trying desperately to help our family members with Asperger's.
    As a side note here, I don't know if this post goes out to each forum or how to see that it does, but I would like to see it given wide exposure on this website. If any of you are better with the computer and posting than I am, I could use your help!
    Kind wishes for everyone, Armida
  • I'd like to resurrect this discussion.

I'm aspie, and I've been successful in work. It hasn't come without a price, but even the so called 'normal' people sometimes fail or take a wrong turn in their careers. I've been fired, written up, had to put up with far too many people who want to 'fix' me, etc. -- I'm sure you all know what's on that list. Being successful in work requires a lot of compromise on both sides but it's possible.

I rarely tell my employers because I prefer not to give myself any excuses. They only know me as a sometimes difficult employee that produces excellent work. I do explain (if necessary) that I have difficulties with social interaction at times, but I don't say why, I just tell them that everyone has different strengths.

I know what I do well and what I don't and, for the most part, I stick with what I find satisfying and comfortable. I get on better socially if my work suits my needs and I find that I need to be learning and solving problems every day to be happy in my work. I have bad days, we all do, but I get on as long as I balance who I am with who I need to be to get on with others.

I have had the pleasure of knowing, for most of my life, a very autistic man who went on to have an apartment of his own (supervised of course) and a steady job. He recently passed away, but he made it despite not always having appropriate support in his education. The messages left by others on his obituary page speak for themselves, he was valued and left a lasting impression on a lot of people with his knowledge, humour, and work ethic.

I recently accepted an application from an autistic teenager who had applied to do his work experience placement with the organisation that employs me. I spent a bit of time before he came talking to people in the team about what to expect and how to interact with this young man so that when he arrived no one would be surprised by his differences. They were all willing to accept him with an open mind and to welcome him into the team, even the skeptics who wrongly thought that everyone with ASD was off with the fairies and banged their heads a lot.

When the young man arrived we hit it off straight away and he quickly fit in with the rest of the team. I gave him tasks that helped him to settle in and as the time progressed we gave him a wider variety of tasks just as we would with any new employee.

Little did I know at the time that this was the first autistic work experience placement attempted by the local school system and no one expected it to work out. It was a smashing success on every level.

The young man was initially accompanied by a teaching assistant, but when he finished he was coming to work on his own, taking on the same types of tasks a full time employee would do, and interacting well with the people he worked with. His work was beyond what we normally expect of work experience students and his parents and teachers reported back that the two weeks he spent with us made a real difference to his confidence levels and independence. Reports of the success of that work experience placement went all the way up to the CEO.

I believe that is exactly the type of thing needed to change people's opinions about ASD. I plan to take in other ASD work experience placements in the future and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them went on to work for the us.

Gavia

[Updated on 7/12/2009 6:03 AM] -- just being pedantic... again.